Feature Requests

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:53 AM

I'll get this party started:

1. Some kind of nice abstraction of Gamepads, like the ones for Mouse and Keyboard - I know this is a whole giant can of worms with so many out there and cross platform support might be a nightmare, but it would really, really be an excellent addition.

2. Something that works like XNA's SpriteBatch that lets you say spriteThing.Draw(ballTex, Rect(0.0f,0.0f,1.0f,1.0f)) without having to mess with any rendering API calls, and it batches up all the triangles or quads or whatever into a dynamic buffer and sends them all at once when the texture is changed (I could write this, actually, if you're open to assistance - I'm a long time D3D coder though, so I don't know exactly what all the equivalents are in OpenGL, so I might stumble through that for a bit :p)

PS:  Nice lib!!

Coordinator
Mar 28, 2011 at 7:07 AM

TyphoidHippo,

Thanks for your requests! I think this is a superb idea. Anyone else that has a request, please post it here.

If you could elaborate on what you want for Gamepads, I can consider implementing such input. Keep in mind, LOGL::GLib is only for PC systems. Are you saying an external controller for PC (like a USB Xbox controller)?

The second request is one that I'm very much planning to implement. I won't require your help on it, but I very much appreciate the offer. There are some things I could use a hand with here and there. I'll contact you about them.

Thanks for checking out LOGL::GLib, I'm glad I may've helped.

Cheers, 

LorgonJortle

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:18 AM

Yea, a USB xbox 360 controller is what I have handy - It would be awesome to be able to do something like:

float rightStickY = GamePad::GetAxis(int or some enum or something);

and:

if(GamePad::IsButtonDown(GamePadButtons::A or something)) { ...make dude jump... };

Supporting gamepads on the PC is always a PITA because there's so many with so many differing axes and button combinations, so it always devolves into kind of guessing some defaults and writing mountains of boilerplate code to let a user assign actions to buttons and axes - some kind of concise API that wraps up as much of that as possible would be a pretty killer feature for a PC game lib.

Coordinator
Mar 28, 2011 at 7:28 AM

TyphoidHippo,

I completely agree with that statement. While (admittedly) it's not on the top of my list, I'd very much like to see that in LOGL::GLib. I'll do some research on it this coming week and report back here with what I've concluded.

Thanks again for your requests; they're greatly appreciated.

LorgonJortle